About Young Living Essential Oils
At the heart of Young Living Essential Oil's mission is a responsibility to inspire change:
We honor our stewardship to champion nature's living energy — essential oils — by fostering a community of healing and discovery, while inspiring individuals to wellness, purpose, and abundance.
We believe that each individual is responsible for his or her own health, but the journey to wellness should be shared. That's why Young living promotes a community of healing and discovery, where like-minded individuals can come together to reach increased wellness, purpose, and abundance. We provide the products necessary to jump-start your healthy lifestyle ~ all you need to do is commit to taking the next step to a better, healthier, new you.
Founded by D. Gary Young in 1993, Young Living Essential Oils is world renowned for exceptionally high-quality essential oils, dietary supplements, personal care products, and other unique solutions for healthy lifestyles.
Young Living Essential Oils is a multinational, relationship marketing company specializing in the production and distribution of therapeutic-grade essential oils and premium products enhanced with essential oils. Young Living is the largest supplier of essential oils in the world.
Young Living's four farms provide operations to perfect harvesting and distilling practices, and are an ongoing source for oils that are in short supply around the world.
St. Maries, Idaho, USA — In 1992, Gary purchased 160 acres of pristine farmland near the small logging town of St. Maries, Idaho. The property had never before been plowed or subjected to harsh chemicals, pesticides, or fertilizers—making it an ideal location to begin producing Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils.
Mona, Utah, USA — In 1995, Gary obtained an additional 138 acres of farmland in Mona, Utah. Today, the Mona farm boasts nearly 1,600 acres and is showcase to vibrant lavender fields during the months of June and July. Chamomile, peppermint, hyssop, helichrysum, and clary sage are also distilled on the farm, which houses the largest essential oil distillery in North America.
- Simiane-la-Rotonde, France — Well-known for its rolling hills, fresh-grown crops, and fragrant fields of lavender, the Provence area of France is home to Young Living's third farm, the only American-owned lavender farm in the country. The residents of Provence believe that the scent of lavender exerts its calming, uplifting effects on the village and people of the area.
Guayaquil, Ecuador — Since 2005, Gary and his family have lived in Ecuador. Here Gary oversees the cultivation of rare oils at Young Living Essential Oils' newest farm, Finca Botanica Aromatica. Gary spends his days searching for new natural plant remedies and partners with indigenous tribes and local governments to foster a global community of transformation and discovery and bring new essential oils to the world.
- Salalah, Oman — After 15 years of traveling to and from Oman, building relationships with the people there, and acquiring their trust, Gary Young was able to fulfill a 15-year-old dream — to build a distillery in Oman and be the first in hundreds of years to distill the sacred frankincense. After months of paperwork and waiting for the country of Oman to write the code, we were finally able to obtain permits to export Boswellia sacra to the U.S. and Ecuador. For that, we have to thank the wonderful people of Oman and our partner and manager, Mahmoud Suhail, M.D.
Our Founder Gary Young learned of the power of essential oils through a profound personal experience that led him on a worldwide odyssey to learn about essential oils and their therapeutic value. Since that time, Young Living's line of superior essential oils has increased to include over 130 different essential oils and oil blends, with an additional 250 nutritional and personal care products.
Message from Gary:
"Welcome To Young Living Essential Oils
We are excited that you have decided to investigate one of the most unique and exciting nutritional companies in the world today. The science of aromatherapy and essential oils is as old as the beginning of time, although it was lost through the ages and has only begun to make its re-entry into the modern world during the last 50 years.
"Our mission is to bring back the ancient knowledge of the elements that were given to us at the time of the Creation for the transformation, sustaining and protection of mankind. Ancient records indicate that natural elements were mankind's first medicine. Essential oils were used by Christ and biblical prophets such as Abraham and Moses as well as kings, priests, emperors and pharaohs from different cultures and times, to promote youthfulness and beauty and positive emotions. Science continues to validate the many powerful uses of essential oils, including their immune-supporting properties."
Turning a passion into a profession is a dream for many. But for Young Living founder and CEO D. Gary Young, it's a vibrant reality. Over two decades ago, Gary discovered the profound power of essential oils to transform mental and physical wellness. Through Young Living, he is able to share his matchless knowledge with millions around the world, transforming their health and their lives. Gary's unrivaled expertise on the therapeutic power of plants has led to the creation of the world's largest line of essential oils and blends.
To ensure the finest quality and availability of oils for our products, Young Living is cultivating hundreds of acres of crops for the distillation of essential oils. Young Living is the only company in the world that is growing from seed, harvesting, distilling, formulating, packaging and marketing products with essential oils, as well as educating people about their use and application.
In his travels to study essential oil distillation techniques around the world, Gary discovered wide discrepancies in quality. He learned that in order to ensure purity and potency, rigorous, expert analysis of finished oils was critical. With a newfound commitment to essential oil science, Gary established the standard now known as Young Living Therapeutic Grade™, a philosophy and a guarantee that Young Living will only sell 100% pure, natural, uncut oils that maintain their vital therapeutic potency.
At the heart of Young Living Essential Oil's mission is a responsibility to inspire change.
- Young Living originated from nature's restorative power.
- Young Living exists because our products work.
- Young Living succeeds by providing real support, not side effects.
- Young Living thrives because it rewards you for doing the most natural thing in the world: sharing.
Gary Young's commitment to understanding the remarkable therapeutic power of plants has resulted in the world's largest line of essential oils and blends. Gary has traveled the globe discovering how to best support both physical health and emotional wellness. His discoveries have helped hundreds of thousands of people experience the benefits of nature and have led to the creation of the world's largest and foremost authority on essential oils sciences: Young Living Essential Oils.
Gary Young Establishes Therapeutic-Grade Standard
Gary Young established the term "therapeutic-grade," now known as Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ (YLTG), as a guarantee that Young Living will only sell 100% pure, natural, uncut oils that maintain the vital therapeutic potency.
As Gary traveled the world studying the distillation of pure essential oils, he saw wide discrepancies in quality and learned that in order to ensure purity and potency, expert, rigorous analysis of finished oils was critical.
Today, using gas chromatography (GC) and mass spectrometry (MS) analysis, the phytochemical profile of every batch of Young Living essential oils is measured to evaluate each specific plant compound. Certain plant compounds must meet or exceed specific levels to ensure the oil is natural, pure, and therapeutic-grade. Only then does Young Living guarantee the oil will provide the desired results and label it Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ (YLTG).
What makes Young Living different is that (the founder) Gary Young does not come from the business side but from the natural wellness side. His goal has been to create a means of producing therapeutic-grade essential oils – oils of the very highest quality – on a very large scale. While in most cases emphasis on quantity means decreasing quality, this is NOT the case with Young Living. — Daniel Pénoël, MD, Essential Oil Researcher
- 1973 — Gary suffers a crippling injury in a logging accident.
- 1982 — Gary opens clinics in California and Mexico.
- 1985 — He is introduced to essential oils.
- 1989 — He plants a one-quarter acre farm in Spokane, Washington, and fabricates his first distiller.
- 1992 — Gary purchases 160 acres in St. Maries, Idaho, for growing plants and distilling essential oils.
- 1993 — Young Living Essential Oils is established in Riverton, Utah.
- 1995 — Gary purchases 138 acres of farmland in Mona, Utah.
- 1996 — The Young Living corporate office is moved from Riverton to Payson, Utah.
- 1999 — Young Living expands its operations into the Australian and Japanese markets.
- 2003 — The headquarters of Young Living is relocated to its current location in Lehi, Utah. A farm in Simiane-La-Rotonde, France, is purchased.
- 2005 — Gary Establishes a 2,000 acre farm in Guayaquil, Ecuador, for conducting research and cultivating high oil content plants. The UK market opens.
- 2007 — Young Living opens an expanded manufacturing and shipping facility encompassing 107,000 square feet.
- 2010 — Young Living establishes a distillery in Oman becoming the first and only company to distill Sacred Frankincense Essential Oil, after 15 years of establishing a relationship with the people of Oman and their government, obtaining permits to export Boswellia sacra to the U.S. and Ecuador.
Gary believed he could produce pure, authentic, superior-quality essential oils, and started cultivating lavender and other herbs in 1989, on a one-quarter-acre plot in Spokane, Washington, US. He built his first distiller by welding two pressure cookers with copper pipe and began experimenting. The result: 100% pure essential oil and the beginning of Young Living Essential Oils.
Gary and his wife, Mary, eventually launched their own company to grow, prepare, and bottle therapeutic essential oils. The first Young Living office was in Riverton, Utah, where a small group of employees worked to fulfill the growing demand for essential oil products. Soon, the company's first stationary distiller was built on land purchased in St. Maries, Idaho, US. The Youngs later purchased more than 2,000 acres in Utah and Simiane-la-Rotande, France.
Still, the growing demand for mass quantities and different varieties of oils eventually required Gary to build partnerships with other suppliers. These efforts created the unmatched global network of essential oil expertise that is the modern Young Living. Today, Young Living ships essential oils products to hundreds of thousands of members around the world.
Some Facts About Young Living Essential Oils:
- The world's leader in the cultivation, distillation, and production of pure essential oils.
- Headed and founded by D. Gary Young, one of North America's foremost authorities on essential oils.
- The first company to combine guaranteed pure essential oils with dietary supplements.
- Sells products in over twenty different foreign markets, including Canada, Japan, Australia, and the UK, with more expansion coming in 2014.
- In 2008, Young Living products were shipped to 99 countries.
- In August 2009, Young Living will officially launch business in Mexico.
- Young Living Essential Oils has more than 125,000 distributors.
- Uses a proprietary low-pressure, low-temperature stainless steel steam distillation system designed by Gary Young to preserve the high quality of essential oils.
- Young Living owns more than 6,000 acres of farmland in France, Utah, Idaho, and Ecuador with over 70,000 square feet of greenhouse space.
- Young Living cultivates over fifteen different herbs and botanicals, including peppermint, spearmint, basil, clary sage, lavender, rosemary, thyme, melissa, and wolfberry.
- Young Living is the largest importer of the Ningxia variety of Chinese wolfberry, a superfood studied in China for its benefits.
- Young Living succeeds by providing real wellness support, not side effects. Wellness enthusiasts worldwide are making Young Living Essential Oils their first choice.
- Young Living's standards set the bar higher than organic standards for several reasons: composting plant material, maintaining worm-growing beds using that product to add to their compost, dig ponds to water plants, only purchases pristine property free of chemical contamination even researching neighboring properties to ensure they are free of toxic practices, using alternative grease (free of chemicals) on farm equipment to prevent contamination, in addition to building the largest GC/MS equipment in order to catalog the most constituents in each oil.
A History of Stewardship
- The Essential Oils Desk Reference is based largely on Gary Young's past and present research.
- 1982–1988: In Mexico, Gary Young studied biochemistry, hematology, anatomy, and chemistry, among other subjects under the guidance of four medical doctors.
- In 1991, Gary performed some of the first clinical research on oils with helichrysum.
- 1985: He received his master's degree in nutrition. Young then went on to earn his doctorate in Naturopathy from Bernadean University.
- 1990-1994: In France, Young studied the process of distilling essential oils.
- 2000: Gary Young traveled to China to study the Ningxia Wolfberry and its health benefits.
- In 2004, Gary partnered with Brigham Young University researchers Rex Cates and Nicole Stevens, to study the immune supportive effects of therapeutic-grade essential oils, including Young Living's sandalwood and frankincense.
Palo Santo essential oil was the subject of a paper by Gary Young – the first on the subject – published in the Journal of Aromatherapy.
- Young Living is the first and only company to bring Palo Santo and Ruta essential oils to market; Gary first distilled these plants while living and researching in Ecuador.
- Gary Young's essential oil blend Thieves® has been the subject of clinical studies.
- Gary's research has allowed Young Living to offer more than 75 single oils and 75 oil blends — the largest essential oils line available.
Discover our exciting compensation plan!
Young Living Essential Oils champions nature's living energy—essential oils—by fostering a community of healing and discovery while inspiring individuals to wellness, purpose, and abundance.
Face ~ Body ~ Bath ~ Oral Care
I love to teach classes locally in the Central Florida area and am a former Nationally Certified Massage Therapist with over 12 years of experience, studying the human body, the energy system, the use of aromatherapy, Raindrop Technique and Emotional Release with Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils through C.A.R.E. as well as many workshops with Gary Young. I work and live in Winter Park, FL and am available by appointment: 407.399.8562.
I highly suggest educating yourself about the truth of essential oils by purchasing the Essential Oil Desk Reference book which contains a wealth of information on all of our products including details on each oil and what oils to use for specific situations.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Don't expect the same results unless you are using Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ Essential Oils and supplements. Also each person is unique and different in chemistry and toxicity levels, as well as emotionally and spiritually, so an oil that is suggested for an issue may not work as well as another. If a change is not apparent within three minutes, try another oil.